This Norwescon was pretty intense and event-filled. The biggest thing that happened was the Hugo Award nomination short list announcement. I have been nominated for Best Editor, Short Form. I’m simultaneously thrilled beyond words and terrified. I know a whole lot more people will be looking at me now, trying to figure out who I am, what I do, and what I’ve done.
I once wrote about working in the publishing industry was to be an obscure celebrity. When people find out, they get very excited. The stars in some people’s eyes is really amazing to see.
To be an editor is to be a stealth troubleshooter, designer, and artist all at once—specifically to make someone else look awesome. I’ve worked hard in the last five years, putting out 14 anthologies, being an assistant editor for Apex Publications, being the editor in chief of Apocalypse Ink Productions, and doing the thousand myriad jobs one does in the publishing business. I am currently editing a charity anthology as well as an open call for flash fiction for Evil Girlfriend Media.
In 2014, I had 4 anthologies released. I am proud of all of them. The first is pure science fiction, the second is steampunk fantasy, the third is a non-fiction anthology from women about games and the gaming industry, and the last is traditional fantasy-military.
- Bless Your Mechanical Heart anthology - Evil Girlfriend Media, Editor, April 2014
- Beast Within 4: Gears & Growls anthology - Graveside Tales, Editor, October 2014
- Chicks Dig Gaming non-fiction anthology - Mad Norwegian Press, Co-Editor (with Robert Smith? and Lars Pearson), November 2014
- Shattered Shields anthology - Baen Books, Co-Editor (with Bryan Thomas Schmidt), November 2014
Below are the other 10 anthologies I edited since 2009, including my award winning anthology, Grants Pass.
- Grants Pass anthology - Morrigan Books, Co-editor (with Amanda Pillar), August, 2009 (AU Shadows Award Winner 2009)
- Close Encounters of the Urban Kind anthology - Apex Book Company, Editor, April 2010
- Beauty Has Her Way anthology - Dark Quest Books, Editor, January 2011
- Human Tales anthology - Dark Quest Books, Editor, April 2011
- Beast Within 2: Predator & Prey anthology - Graveside Tales, Editor, June 2011
- Space Tramps anthology - Flying Pen Press, Editor, Sep 2011
- Human for a Day anthology – DAW, Editor, Dec 2011
- Dangers Untold anthology - Alliteration Ink Press, Editor, 1 October 2012
- Beast Within 3: Oceans Unleashed anthology - Graveside Tales, Editor, 7 December 2012
- Coins of Chaos anthology - EDGE Science Fiction and Fantasy Publishing, Editor, October 2013
Since the announcement, several people have asked me if they can vote. The answer is “yes, but…” Yes, but you need to be at least a supporting member of Sasquan / Worldcon 2015. This is a minimum of $40. However, if you do become a member in time to vote (by the end of July 2015), you will receive the Hugo packet which will have a whole of books and stories from the nominees in other categories so you can make an informed choice. The Hugo packet will include examples of my editing work.
I want to thank everyone who has contacted me with cheers, support, and well wishes. I’m tickled pink that authors I’ve edited are happy about the nomination. Every congratulations message means the world to me. More than you can know. I do feel a little bit like the “home town girl does good” and I don’t want to let anyone down.
There you have it. I’ve been nominated and I’m thrilled. If you have any questions about my work, please let me know.